There are new server and client side WebSmart updates available which resolve a few reported issues. Below you’ll also find information about the upcoming Ask the WebSmart Expert webinar, summaries of recent KB articles and examples programs, and information on how to generate a temporary WebSmart license key for emergency situations.
WebSmart 8.21 Updates
You can now download the following new updates for WebSmart 8.20:
8.20 iSeries side update: W8200003P
- Resolves a reported getparm issue when older Fixed Format programs are recompiled in version 8+.
- Resolves an issue with the sendmailex function where the SMTP login parms would not always be passed correctly.
8.20 Client side update: r5187-6807
- PHP variable names will now retain case-sensitivity in the Fields window.
- Resolved date validation issues in the Clover wizard when building filters.
- Generator files stored on the PC will be updated during installation and during the generation process.
- Getpostdta works correctly when used in programs that use SMURFs.
- Resolved issue where signed fields in structures were not generated correctly.
You can download these updates from our web site now.
Participate in the WebSmart Ask the Expert Webinar!
There is still time for you to get your WebSmart questions answered by an expert. Sign up for the webinar now to submit your questions!
Two of our veteran web application developers will be hosting a 1-hour session next Wednesday, May 26, to answer your questions. All questions will be answered, either live during the webinar (as time allows), or afterwards via our developers forum.
Here are a few of the questions that will be answered live during the webinar:
- What is the best way to display a data input error message, then redisplay the screen with the cursor at the error field?
- With WebSmart PHP and ILE, how does one validate an iSeries user profile and password once, so that login (for same PC) is good the rest of day?
- Discuss best practices for multi-lingual WebSmart sites – specifically having the same screens in multi-languages.
Generating Temporary License Keys at myBCDSoftware.com
We had a situation come up a couple of weekends ago where a customer in the UK changed their iSeries system information, rendering their WebSmart license keys invalid and killing the run-time component required by their applications. This crisis was compounded by this happening on a weekend, and to a customer in a completely different time zone to us.
It was precisely situations like this that we created the feature in myBCD that allows registered customers to instantly generate themselves short-term temporary license keys. In a situation where either your box changes, or in a disaster recovery (real or test) you have to move your applications to a different box, you can log in to myBCDSoftware.com and immediately generate yourself a new license key. This key lasts for a few days, long enough for you to get in touch with us and arrange for a more permanent solution.
But in order to use this feature, you need to have a myBCD profile! If you don’t have one, we suggest you request one now using the ‘Request an Account’ link at the login page.
New Code Samples
Our latest code samples include:
If you have any great techniques of your own, we’d love to hear about them!
Recent KB Articles
Here are a few of our most recent KB articles:
- Article 8368. How to use an alert box as a troubleshooting or debug tool, to pop up and display the contents of one or more fields, before performing an operation that isn’t working as expected.
- Article 8367. I need to embed some quotes into the PML section of a custom template, but it will not derive properly into the copied PML. Rather, it ends at the first single quote. What’s happening?
- Article 8345. I use SSL for my web pages. Every time I redirect to one of my pages I get a ‘Security Warning’ pop up that says ‘Do you want to view only the webpage content that was delivered securely?’. Why does this happen and what can I do about it?
- Article 8342. Is there a log of all the addresses that emails have been sent to using WebSmart ILE’s SENDMAIL function?
- Article 8327. How to use WebSmart to load a file from a Windows file server and display the contents to the browser.
- Article 8317. Techniques for calculating the difference between two dates/times or timestamps in WebSmart ILE.
- Article 8267. How to use locally scoped work fields in WebSmart 8.2+.
- Article 8246. How can I create an IFS directory on the fly using WebSmart?
- Article 8162. How to check the existence of a stream file on the IFS.
- Article 8130. How can I validate a user’s login credentials against my Nexus user list?
We are still working on improving the indexing of the Google Knowledge Base search, but if the normal KB search doesn’t return any results, try the Google Beta search!
Please let us know if you have any questions or comments.